Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

November 20, 2016

Jane Lynch, Mascots and Happy Accidents

I picked up a book about Jane Lynch that caught my eye a few months ago in a bookshop sale, not because I'm a 'Glee' fan (because I don't think I've ever watched a full episode ... just not my bag, baby), but I am a fan of Christopher Guest movies and Jane has been in quite a few of them.
To be honest though, while I was a fan of the movies 'Best in Show', 'A Mighty Wind', 'For Your Consideration' and 'Waiting for Guffman', I never took any notice of who made them, but I could see that they were painted with the same artistic brush.
It wasn't until I read Jane's book that I found out it was Christopher Guest and then I had to Google him to find out just who he was, so saying that I was a fan of these movies was probably the wrong word if I didn't know, or care who the director of these movies was.
Let's just say I liked these movies then.
When I knew who Christopher Guest was I looked up his IMDB page to see if he had made any more of these quirky fake documentary movies starring Jane ... and he had.
A film called 'Mascots' about a look into the world of competitive sporting mascots.
The Sharks mascot geeing up the grand final
 crowd near me in
2016
I thought this was quite personally synchy for me as on all of my road-trips this year to follow my team the SharksI was never too far away from the Shark mascots from where I was sitting.   

The Sharks mascots walking past me
 at the
Cowboys game in 2016
Hammerhead blocking my view
of the
Cowboys game in 2016
In fact, when I stayed in Canberra on my last road-trip I was told by the receptionist, who just happened to be a massive Sharks fan like myself, that the guy in the hammer-head shark mascot stayed at this motel when the Sharks played in a minor semi-final in Canberra a few weeks before, which I thought was strange as the motel is a long way from the stadium the Sharks played in when they played in Canberra.
I had seen the Sharks mascots at the last two Cowboy games, and I was staying at a Canberra Best Western motel:-)
My room 216 with rooms 217 and 237 ringed in red
I was only staying at this motel because it wasn't too far from where my son lived in Canberra.
Now, Jane's book was published in 2011, but I bought it in early 2016 in a book-sale and didn't read it until the Cubs had just won the World Series this year.
In the book (see photo above) Jane tells of being in a movie with Chuck Connors called 'Taxi Killer' and how Chuck had played 66 games at first base for the Cubs in 1951 and how she was a huge Cubs fan.
'Taxi Killer' is rated 6.6 on the IMDB site, too, at the moment.
Personally, synchy for me again, as my dad was a taxi driver and passed away in September this year just before the Cubs would break the biggest losing streak in Major League baseball and the Sharks would break a 49-year existence in the NRL without ever winning a grand final trophy.  
Not only that, but Jane talks about her and Carol Burnett, who played her mum in 'Glee', singing, 'Ohio', as Carol's character was supposed to be from Ohio in 'Glee', which is where the team the Cubs would beat in the World Series were from.
World Series: Chicago Cubs beat Cleveland Indians 8-7 in Game Seven to clinch comeback title win
After watching Jane's last movie appearance in the Christopher Guest film 'Mascots', which was released in 2016 I then heard a podcast (below) of Noah Lampert interviewing a lifelong friend of Christopher Guest, David Nichtern about music, life and Buddhism, and Noah had a You Tube clip of David and Chris playing a tune called 'Moon Over Tunis' as 'The Beyman Brothers' linked on his pod-cast page. 
Synchronicity – Ep. 14Music, Life and Buddhism with David Nichtern
 Christopher Guest (circled) in Jane's book
I liked the honest way Jane told her life in the book and I liked how she touched on Jung and that she ended up married to a therapist ... although probably not a therapist who was into Jung as well ... that wasn't stated either way in the book.

It was an interesting read in ways similar to Magda Szubanski's memoir about coming out as a gay actor -
Magda Szubanski, Rainbows, The 2016 Byron Bay Writers Festival, Jung and Synchronicity
And the last page of Jane Lynch's book pretty much sums up synchronicity and going with the flow in life and where it can lead you.
I take it as a "happy accident" that I came across Jane's book at the beginning of 2016 and read it near the end of 2016, and then watched 'Mascots' and reflected back to all the weird mascot synchs I had in 2016.
Award Winning Actress Jane Lynch Talks Glee, Christopher Guest & Her Swingin’ Christmas Album!
I still won't be watching 'Glee' though ... sorry.
But I might buy Jane's new Christmas album to get into the swing of Christmas while I read Joe Hill's novel NOS4A2;-)
I might even have found a song off Jane's album for Joe's TV adaption of NOS4A2 when the studio make it?-)

No comments:

Post a Comment