Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

November 5, 2016

The Light Between Oceans

Just finished reading this great book after having it in my "to read" pile for two years. 
I met Margot in Byron Bay in 2014 and bought her book after spending the morning talking about lighthouses with her and another author (Ian Hoskins) who is a lighthouse fanatic.
I wish I had of read it sooner, as I thought it was just a wishy-washy romance novel at first and never knew just how good it was on so many levels. 
It's one of the best novels I have read in a good while.
I love how the little girl found in the boat is named Lucy and her real name is Grace.
Talk about keepers of "the light" ;-)
I see a movie starring Michael Fassbender (one of my favourite actors) playing the role of Tom the lighthouse keeper has been made of the book.
I'm yet to see the movie, hopefully sometime this week after I shift house.
I can't see how the movie could capture the book on the cinema screen, as a lot of the book's appeal is the internal dialogue and thoughts of the characters.
Fassbender played one of my all-time heroes, Carl Jung in the movie, 'A Dangerous Method', 
" A look at how the intense relationship between Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud gives birth to psychoanalysis"
Fassbender also played David in the movie 'Prometheus', while on the subject of light takers;-)
I think it was funny though, that the bulk of the action in the book takes place on and off the coast of Western Australia, yet the filming took place in Tasmania and New Zealand.
Tasmania is a long way from Western Australia
I also think it was ironic while on the subject of the filming taking place in Tasmania that Alicia Vikander who won an Oscar for her performance in 'The Danish Girl' visits the home of 
Australian Danish princess Mary to make 'The Light Between Oceans'.
How much ocean is between the lights of Tasmania and Denmark?-)

Mary, Crown Princess

 of Denmark

I love Tassie and lighthouses and the last thing I pretty much did on my last day in Tasmania was to check out the lighthouse in Devonport -
Going With the Flow in Devonport on My Last Day in Tasmania
I miss Tasmania, but as another famous actor once said, "I'll be back".
A picture I took through my car window
 of the
Devonport lighthouse
Hopefully when there is more light, next time:-)

The audio book I bought, read by Noah Taylor
Noah Taylor was in this movie
I bought the audio book read by Noah Taylor, as well, and thought it was a coincidence that Noah was in the original 'Tomb Raider' movie and then I saw who was playing Lara Croft in the reboot of 'Tomb Raider';-)

And with all this banter about oceans I couldn't help smiling that Noah's latest work has him in 'Deep Water':-)

1 comment:

  1. The Dangerous Method: I think we saw it, but will have to rent again to make sure! Tasmania...just the name sounds so exotic!

    ReplyDelete