Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

January 12, 2017

Irony and Pop-culture

David Foster Wallace - The Problem with Irony
DFW is one of my literal heroes, so I thought it was ironic that I was ironing my clothes at the time I stumbled across this video in the link above when I was trying to Google why there is an iron as a token in the game of Monopoly, and also looking for a podcast to listen to while I ironed my clothes, since I'm reading this book pictured below at the moment ironically enough.
I'm starting to think life is just one 'Infinite Jest' to the one who runs this 'Game of Life';-)
Cat's got the Monopoly! Fans vote to axe board game's iron token and replace it with a kitten in global Facebook poll
"The humble cat has beaten off competition from robots, a guitar and a helicopter to become the newest token on the Monopoly board - but the iron is being axed.
Millions of
Monopoly fans worldwide voted on Facebook after the manufacturer launched its first public poll to choose which of the eight tokens to ditch, and what to replace it with.
The iron
, which has featured in the game since the 1930s, secured just 8 per cent of a vote and will now be removed.
But the
cat, regarded as a dead cert to win because of their huge popularity online, came top with 31 per cent of the poll."

Why didn't the Monopoly guys consider the lobster?-)
Amy Adams in the movie 'Julie and Julia'
R.I.P IRONy

UPDATE: January 14th, 2017

Now I see a news story about the makers of Monopoly trying to "give the boot" to all of its unliked tokens -
and I'm glad to read in that story that I wasn't the only one who didn't know that the iron token had already been taken off the board in 2013

2 comments: